“If you are what you do… then who are you when you don’t do
what you do anymore?”
You can’t go very long after meeting someone new before
you’re asked “what do you do for work?”
As a man in a notoriously hard-working and dutiful Midwestern town, this
experience may be even more prevalent for me than some others. In the average social interaction, people
feel comfortable with simple, recognizable exchanges on this point. I’m a teacher of middle school science at a
charter school. I’m an attorney focused
on intellectual property. And so on. For many years, my answer was pretty
straightforward – “I work for so-and-so, I’m in such and such a field.”
All of this – the awkward interactions, my inability to
pinpoint my goals, my eventual attempts to avoid these meetings altogether –
shapes up to be the marker of a sort of identity crisis. Up until now - I had meaningful work, I
provided well for my family, I was of use to my friends and peers, I had areas
of expertise, I associated with an organization, I was successful and achieved
things. And then, suddenly, I
didn’t. Yes, I chose this, but I think
there’s an important reality at play here – namely, that until we’ve actually
experienced some trial or loss firsthand (or at least walked alongside someone
who has), it’s nearly impossible to have a real appreciation for its
significance. Or, said another way – you
don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.
In my head, I knew this identity
thing was real… but I didn’t actually think I’d suffer with it much.
An identity crisis can be triggered in any number of ways –
and remember, you might not know you placed such value on an identity until you
don’t have it anymore. Leaving a job,
like me. Losing a spouse or significant loved
one. The end of an athletic career. Moving to a new place. Failing at an endeavor you value highly. Recognizing acutely the effects of
aging. Giving up a habit or vice. Asking for help when you really don’t want
to. Facing mental health issues. Hurting someone you love. Or even something so subtle as that tiny
bully of a voice in your head getting a foothold, saying “you’re not a very
good friend/mother/husband/golfer/etc.”
Often, it takes something jarring to occur, to shake the
reality and truth we’ve crafted in our minds about who we are and how good we
are. It’s in our nature, I believe, to
need an identity and a purpose. We want
to be known and valued by others. We
seem to crave a degree of definition and order about who we are in the world
and what we’re supposed to do here, and we meticulously craft this order
without knowing it.
If you spent a few minutes thinking about it, you could
probably come up with a handful of identities that you associate yourself
with. Think about the way you introduce
yourself to others and answer the “what do you do?” question. Think
about what you take pride in, or what you’re most afraid of losing. Think about what you spend the most time
thinking about.
Associating ourselves with an identity is natural and
unavoidable, so the real issue then is – what happens when our identity is
stripped away? How do we respond? I would argue that no identity is safe, and
that at some point if we’re honest and paying attention, we’ll come face to
face with the reality that we’re not who we say we are, or like to think we
are. We age, we fail, people fail us, we
change, circumstances change.
The danger, when an identity crisis comes upon us, is that
we enter a cycle whereby we unthinkingly hop over to the next identity that
feels more secure, or desirable, or attainable.
I’m no longer the all-conference tennis player, okay, but I can channel
my energy and drive into building a great consulting practice. My business isn’t generating enough income to
pay the bills, okay, I’ll take up a political cause and pour my life’s work
into that.
I believe this cycle is inevitable, and ultimately
unsatisfying. It’s staying forever just one step ahead of the law… in this case
the law being – we’re flawed human
beings who can’t live up to our own standards of achievement and decorum. We’re remarkably good at pretending that we can,
but boy is it tiring! Or we gradually
relax our standards and actually end up glorifying our failures, which feels soulless and depressing. Or we spend copious
energies protecting and promoting ourselves in our preferred identity, and before long folks are just sick of our act.
When it comes to this work of maintaining our identities, I’ve found rest in the truth of the Bible,
which tells me my identity is primarily and most significantly as a son of God,
created in His image, loved by Him, an heir to Heaven with Jesus Christ, and a
servant of the one true King. I suspect
that’s either sounding to you like an inscrutable foreign language, or it’s
sounding like a breath of fresh air and freedom. I hope and pray it’s the latter. Because when you really know and have
experienced the love, goodness, faithfulness, power, and generosity of God –
then you can relax and step away from the striving, the attaining, the
self-protection and self-promotion.
Identifying with Him is an adoption into His family, bought by Jesus on
the cross and therefore unshakeable (Romans 8:38-39). I’m a son, and I have a good Father who knows
me, knows what I need, and delights to give good gifts to his children. He’s all-wise and all-powerful and works all
circumstances (even the unpleasant ones!) for the good of those who trust Him.
For me, in this present season, it means I’m learning to
trust God’s sovereignty and his plan for my career, letting Him lead me where I
should go. It’s allowed me to be myself
in conversations and interviews, and not have to pretend that I’m something
more or less than I am. I am seeing how
it takes pressure off me to find the perfect job or the opportunity that will
look most impressive, or make this decision to leave be “worthwhile.” It has pointed me to my need for Jesus and my
inability to make all the details of my own life, or my family’s life, work out
according to some grandiose plan.
We still, rightfully, have identities and things that we take pride in,
and things we want to achieve. But when
these temporal identities become secondary to the ultimate and unshakeable reality
of our status as God’s children, we’re freed up. We can daily commit ourselves and our work to
Him – your will be done, Lord – and freely go explore, experiment, contribute,
and spend ourselves for the good of others.
You can be a good father because you’re a beloved son. You can be joyful as a widow because you have
the love of Christ. You are lovely
because you are designed by God. You can
be a faithful leader because you’re a child of the servant King.
And when we fail, or the façade gets stripped away, or He
asks us to relinquish a piece of ourselves, we can be gracious and have
confidence that there is no condemnation for those who are in His family. More than that, our shortcomings will be
redeemed and used for His good purposes.
It’s not “you are
what you do,” but rather “you are who you are” – and you are beloved children,
chosen and bought by Him, adopted into His family forever.
– Joe Stowell
When I decided to quit my job earlier this year without
knowing what my next one would be, I thought a little bit about how I would
answer this “what do you do?” question once my employment had ended. If I’m
honest, I roughly figured that I’d try to make it subtly clear that I wasn’t
fired, and that I was appropriately confident I’d be doing something awesome
next, once I felt like getting back to work. What I didn’t anticipate was how awkward
these exchanges would become – since my answer to people suddenly became
nebulous and unanticipated, and because I struggled to clearly articulate what
I actually wanted to do next. People’s
faces and body language would register some
combination of confusion, judgment, and pity.
Words of reply arrived in short stumbling bursts of truisms. (For the record, I think the most appreciated
reactions went something like “Well good for you, enjoy the time you have
off. I wish you luck, is there anything
I can help you with?”)
Comments